Haying RIM Acres

Since some Minnesota livestock producers have experienced difficulty due to widespread winter kill of alfalfa and persistent wet conditions, the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources  is reminding landowners they have options within their Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) contracts to address these issues.
                        Under the board's policy, landowners may request permission to hay or graze easement lands for conservation management purposes, provided those activities are documented in a management plan signed by the easement holder, the local soil and water conservation district and the board.
                        The Board passed a resolution at its June meeting to inform and educate easement holders and local SWCD staff on provisions for vegetative management, following a request by Gov. Mark Dayton that the United States Department of Agriculture provide assistance to Minnesota livestock producers......

                        Emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) may only be conducted on specific eligible conservation practices, and is limited to 50 percent of the field for haying or 75 percent of the field for grazing. To initiate emergency haying and grazing, producers must contact their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office to apply before any haying or grazing begins.

Filed Under :  
Topics : Environment
Social :
Locations : Minnesota
People : Mark Dayton
A   A   A