The project to restore the historic battlements on the roof of the Winona County History Center's former armory building is nearing completion.
Assistant Director Jennifer Weaver told a Winona Radio audience that tuckpointing on the building has been completed after the concrete cap was removed and now the original brick battlements and turrets are being reconstructed.
The armory was built in 1915 and the battlements were removed in about 1937. The entire project is costing $178,000. The Society is using a $156,000 state grant to help pay for the work. The Historical Society has occupied the building since 1971.