Careless use of smoking materials has been ruled the cause of an east end fire in Winona Monday afternoon.
Assistant Fire Chief Jim Multhaup said a large number of used cigarette materials ignited on the front porch at 258 Mankato Avenue. He said the flames were confined to the porch deck area and did not spread to the wood frame house thanks to the help of some neighbors who discovered the blaze and managed to douse the fire with water by the time firefighters arrived.
No one was injured.
The call came in about 2:30 p.m.