KG Country News
With Darryl Smelser

Ridgeway Fire

A Christmas Day fire at a home near Ridgeway on Wednesday resulted in two people being displaced.
Ridgeway Fire Chief Rodney Merchlewitz told Winona Radio News the fire was in a chimney at the residence along Skyview Drive on Homer Ridge.
Merchlewitz said firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly before it spread to the attic, but the home sustained both smoke and water damage.        

The owners, Don and Kathryn Cummings, were put up at a hotel by the Red Cross, according to Merchlewitz.
He credited the couple's family who were there at the time for noticing smoke coming from the attic area.

Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours.

The Red Cross also reported it assisted a family in Welch, north of Red Wing, in another Christmas Day fire. The Red Cross said the dinner-time fire forced one adult and three teenagers out of the home.

A   A   A